I’ve always been obsessed with whipped cream, I just think that the texture is so amazing and squirting it out of a whipped cream canister is the coolest thing ever. Still, whipped cream has always been a non-vegan thing. There have been a few times in my life when I’ve bought vegan coconut whipped cream from the store, but still even after that I still thought that it was something that only companies could make with special ingredients. Then I got the cookbook Chloe’s vegan desserts (if you saw my other blogposts yes I am obsessed) and I realized that It is actually VERY easy to make vegan coconut whipped cream all by yourself and have some of this yumminess on hand whenever you need it to top anything.
This recipe is only two ingredients, coconut milk or cream and powdered sugar. It is based on Chloe Cosscarelli’s recipe, but I used a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer, which is much easier, and because in all of those non-vegan satisfying baking videos they use hand mixers to whip their heavy cream and make perfect whipped cream… You can use whichever you have or prefer to take out.
The most important things with making this whipped cream is is that you have to chill the bowl and whisk of your mixer before you use them, and that YOU HAVE TO USE THE WHISK ATTACHMENT. I thought that it didn’t matter, so I used the paddle attachments of my hand mixer and made this weird soggy mess of clumps and it was gross. If you do use the whisk though, it will make your cream whip into perfect goodness, just as creamy as the non-vegan stuff. I am going to do this recipe step by step with pictures, because just written down wouldn’t make very much sense. So, without further ado, here is how to make VEGAN COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM!!!
1 can coconut milk or coconut cream, not stirred or shaken
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. If using a hand mixer, take a medium sized metal bowl and the whisk attachment of your hand mixer, and if using a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment and the bowl of your mixer. Put these in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
2. While your equipment is chilling, if you are using coconut milk, take your can and separate the solid coconut cream (which will be on the top) from the coconut water that will be on the bottom. Try not to get any of the water because it could be bad for your results. If you are using coconut cream, take about half (or a bit more) out of your can and put it in a small bowl, as shown in the picture. When you are done with that, put your coconut cream in the fridge for the rest of the 15 minutes to chill a little bit.
3. After the 15 minutes is over, add your coconut cream and put it into your bowl. Whip the coconut cream by itself for 30 seconds or so, and then add in your powdered sugar and whip them together for about 2 minutes or until fluffy and combined, like the photos below.
4. When you are done, immediately move your whipped cream to the fridge and let it sit and thicken up a bit before piping or dolloping.
5. Top whatever you want with it’s yumminess and enjoy!! <3