HAPPY EQUINOX!!! As usual, I have a new recipe! I started the tradition of a new recipe each season exactly a year ago, and in the past year I’ve learned so much about recipe developing. I’m planning to make a blogpost soon where I remake the recipe I developed a year ago, which is exciting, but today I’m coming out with a recipe for the fluffiest and best citrus cake you will ever eat.
For a few tips, this cake isn’t very sweet so if you want you could make a simple icing with lemon juice and powdered sugar, (1 cup sugar 2 tbsp juice!) but I left it plain and it’s still absolutely incredible. Also, to line your pan I’d reccomend taking parchment paper and washing and drying it so it gets softer and fits the pan better. And you definitely don’t have to use super fancy olive oil!
Olive oil cakes have been one of my obssesions for as long as I’ve loved baking, and I’m so happy to make a recipe for one to share with you! I think that the olive oil just gives such a rich flavor, and brings out the citrus, which there is a lot of in here. Also, this cake might be vegan, but it has such a good texture that I honestly don’t think you’ll notice. I highly reccommend giving this a try!
Thank you for reading, happy Equinox, and enjoy!!!
Vegan Citrus Olive Oil Loaf Cake!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinagar
- 1 tbsp orange zest (about 1 large or 2 small oranges)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp lime zest (about 1 lime)
- 1 tbsp orange juice (½ large orange or 1 small)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (almost ½ lemon)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (½ lime)
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease lightly and line a loaf cake pan with parchment paper (wet/crumple to fit better.)
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine milk and vinagar in a medium bowl to curdle while you zest and juice the citrus.
- Combine all the zests and juices with the milk mixture and whisk in sugar and olive oil well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and whisk until JUST combined.
- Add batter to cake pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool (or eat warm) and enjoy!!!