So it’s officially fall! Summer passed by so fast, and all of a sudden I’m back at in-person school and extremely busy, and it’s become the season of falling leaves and pumpkin spice lattes, and I’m so excided for all the fall baking I can start doing!
Suprisingly, for this fall recipe I actually didn’t do anything pumpkin, I decided to showcase the other popular amazing fall flavor that is apples! On this blog so far, I have made a lot of cake recipes. My family doesn’t even really like cake, so when I tell them that I’m going to make some, they are never that excited, but always love what I make anyway. This cake though, they really loved. After his first bite, my brother said that it didn’t even taste vegan, and I kind of agree, though I don’t really know what non-vegan cake even tastes like.
There is really just something special about the flavor and coziness of this cinnamon/vanilla spice sponge cake. The apple topping brings out the flavors and tastes so incredible, and it goes great with a cup of tea and a cozy blanket, the perfect way to bring in fall.
Enjoy, and have a great equinox!!!
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Upside-Down Cake
For the apples:
- 1-2 apples depending on size
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
For the cake:
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- seeds of 1/2 a vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- bit of lemon zest (optional, brings out flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, lightly grease an 8" cake pan, especially the sides, and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Cut your apples into thin-ish slices. Mix together the white/brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl with a fork. Toss the apples and cinnamon sugar mixture together, and get them all well coated.
- Arrange the coated apples evenly on the bottom of the pan, without that many spaces, and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top. Set aside.
- Add your apple cider vinegar to a small bowl with non-dairy milk, mix a tiny bit, and set aside to curdle.
- While the mixture is curdling, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Pour in curdled milk (should be thick and lumpy), oil, and lemon zest, and whisk until it forms a batter, then switch to a spatula and stir until only a few small lumps remain.
- Pour into prepared cake pan on top of apples. (Don't worry if it doesn't fill that high because it will rise a lot.) Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean with a few small crumbs.
- Let cool for 10+ minutes, flip out of pan, peel off parchment paper (if any apples stick scrape them back onto cake). Serve and enjoy!!!