I know it’s January, and past the steretypical hot chocolate season, but this drink really warms up every cold day, or really every day in general. I love making hot cocoa so much, but after trying drinking chocolate for the first time last year I’ve been in love. So I decided to make it a recipe! Also I know I haven’t posted any blogposts for a while, but there are definitely lots more recipes and exciting things coming!
Drinking chocolate is different from regular hot cocoa because it starts with melted chocolate/chocolate ganache instead of cocoa powder, so it’s much thicker and creamier. I really love thick hot cocoa, so for me this is perfect, but if you like it thin and sweet, this might not be for you. This recipe has to sit in the fridge for a few hours too, so if you want to drink your chocolate in the evening I’d recommend making the ganache anywhere from 12 to 3pm.
VEGAN DRINKING CHOCOLATE!!!
- ½ cup coconut milk (can be subbed for other non-dairy milk but coconut has the best flavor)
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 4 cups non-dairy milk
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar (optional) (depends on the sweetness of the chocolate and your taste!)
- Add chocolate to a heatproof bowl and heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over high heat. When it starts boiling, remove from the heat and pour it over the chocolate. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes, and then whisk until well combined and creamy.
- Lick the whisk (you deserve it and it will taste so good) and put ganache in the fridge for 1-4 hours, until completely or mostly hardened.
- When you are ready to make the drinking chocolate, take ganache out of the fridge and add it to a medium saucepan with milk and sugar. Heat it up over medium heat, stirring slightly, as the ganache melts.
- Add cinnamon and stir until the temperature is perfect for you. Take off the heat, ladle or pour into mugs, garnish with vegan marshmallows or whipped cream and more cinnamon, and enjoy!